Re: real mode to protected mode

hi,
Its good to read elaborate docs on this but in brief,
It is the work of intial bootloader and is
architecture dependant process,so you can see
in arch/boot where setup.S will do,
specifuaclly it is just to set a Protected mode enable
bit  of CR0 register of 386 architecture specific
this is i think LSB of it you read it in docs.
but nearabout as follows

#define PE_ON   0x01
Turning on protected mode
                movl    cr0 , eax
		orl	$PE_ON, eax
		movl	eax, cr0
	         jump to relocation,

in above assembly it is just set a bit of cr0,
and then the loading of kernel code segment etc.
is done but after this we are in protected mode.
Please let me know if i explained any wrong thing.
Thanks
Prasanna