When can I call SetPageReserved()?

I'm trying to figure out what kind of memory I can call SetPageReserved() on. Is it okay to use it on memory obtained via a kiobuf? I get the feeling that SetPageReserved() should only be used on memory that is allocated in the kernel itself, such as a DMA buffer allocated via kmalloc(), and never on memory that is allocated by a user process (which is what kiobuf gives me). Is that correct?

The problem we're seeing is that the VM is swapping out pages obtained via a kiobuf. We can't use lock_kiobuf() because sometimes the memory regions overlap, and lock_kiobuf() rejects attempts to lock memory that already has at least one locked page.

--
Timur Tabi
Staff Software Engineer