Re: booting another kernel from console

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, linux lover wrote:

>              i have 2 kernels compiled on my pc one is default and
> another is i downloaded and compiled. i want to know how can i boot from
> default kernel to new one compiled kernel? i know how to do it in
> grub.conf just i am finding any direct boot option is avail on console
> after compiling new kernel. regards, linux_lover

Not sure if this can be a solution. You can try kexec.
Using kexec, you can load a new kernel with

/sbin/kexec -l
/sbin/kexec -e

http://developer.osdl.org/rddunlap/kexec for more info.

PS : I am still trying to get it working.

Regards,
Mahendra

Mahendra M  -  Mahendra_M AT infosys DOT com / mm94 AT india DOT ascend DOT com
Infosys Technologies Ltd, Bangalore.