Re: 2.4 Makefile doubts

Ed Co wrote:

Hi All,
(a) The 2.4 kernel's drivers/net/Makefile has 4 lines in the beginning as follows:
obj-y :=
obj-m :=
obj-n :=
obj- :=
Are these lines necessary; they seem to be clearting the variables. What happens if these 4 lines are not present?

These lines are initialising variables to empty string. I think these are not necessary.
Check in the 2.6 series, these lines are not there in the Makefile.

(b) Also the TULIP objects are included in the final object using the following rules
ifeq ($(CONFIG_TULIP_,y)
obj-y += tulip/tulip.o
endif
Any reason why the normal rule as shown below is not used
obj-$(CONFIG_TULIP) += tulip/tulip.o

Both ways are correct. We can use any of the above based on the requirement. Use the first method if we want to do something like,

ifeq ($(CONFIG_ISDN_PPP),y)
 obj-$(CONFIG_ISDN) += slhc.o
endif

or use the second one if the status check and adding is direct.

Regards

Suneesh

-- Kernelnewbies: Help each other learn about the Linux kernel. Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/ FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/