PCI and i386 BIOS

Hi,

The Linux kernel seems to depend on the BIOS for
getting the PCI related information on i386(on 2.6
however it looks like this can be overriden by setting
the config option CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT)

My question is does Linux use the same memory/IO
address as given by BIOS to the PCI devices? If it
uses the same address as given by the BIOS, what range
do this addresses lie? I am not very knowledagble
about the BIOS but my understanding is that it works
in the real mode!

Thanks in advance
Ed