Re: Finding size of a raw device

Hi ,

 Probably I found the answer to this .

On a filesystem, by doing an lseek the OS can
track the size of the file via the inodes .

Thus, an lseek with SEEK_END would give the
file size , as the inode tables provide the
needed support for the OS .

But since a raw device bound to a file is a
direct interface , there is no way in which
the OS can figure out its limits , and thus
lseek with SEEK_END would yield a zero .

It would be nice if somebody could confirm
the above explanation .

Cheers !

 --- Learner <ruxyz@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi ,