PCI init: failure to detect device

My motherboard (Asus P4P800 Dlx) has an ICH5/5R controller hub that includes, amongst many other things, a Serial ATA controller.

lspci fails to list the device.

The "unusual" fact here is that there are no SATA disk drives connected to the SATA controller. However, I would still expect that the SATA controller would be recognized.

Why is not being found by the kernel PCI initialization code that finds PCI devices?
Is it because,
1: The motherboard BIOS sees no connected hard drives and "hides" it; or
2: The SATA controller chip sees no connected hard drives and "hides" itself; or
3: The kernel PCI init code sees no connected hard drives and skips it. (AFAICT the kernel is NOT doing this) or
4: something else.

If there is anyone else out there, who has a SATA controller but no SATA disks, do you see the controller in lspci?

Cheers Grant