Re: Sharing a pci device

Greg KH wrote:
On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 05:58:57PM -0500, Perry Gilfillan wrote:

Should I make the i2c-voodoo3 module so it can cope with any of these cases at run time, or should I use preprocessor conditionals to handle the first and fourth case, and just do the runtime tests in i2c-voodoo3 if the tdfxfb driver is a module and it's presence can't be known when i2c-voodoo3 is loaded?

Is it true that each physical pci device can have just one driver attached to it?

Yes, that is the safest.

How about making one module/driver that has the probe/remove functions
for the voodoo3 device, and have the other three modules register with
that to get access to the device?  That's the correct way to solve this
issue.

This would be similar to how the i2c adapter allows several drivers to access the chips on it's bus, or the ieee1394 drivers have sbp2, dv1394, raw1394, eth1394, etc. attached?

This would be beyond my skills at this time, but I'll be thinking about it. Are there any books or articles you could point to that would help me get an idea of the things I need to consider in putting some thing like that together?

Thanks,

Perry
-----
Gilfillan Family: http://www.gilfillan.org/