sleeping on semaphore halts my system

Hello everyone,
         When i call down () on a semaphore from a
process (a function scheduled through schedule_task
()), the whole system halts (the only thing that works
is CTRL+ALT+DEL). I tried some tricks like
implementing my own semphore (a simpler one) that
does'nt call sleep_on () but schedule (), but the
result remained the same. Can anyone tell me what
crime I'm commiting here? BTW, it's 2.4 I am talking about.

=====
"To teach how to live without certainty, and yet without being paralysed by hesitation, is perhaps the chief thing that philosophy, in our age, can still do for those who study it." --Bertrand Russell

"According to all the rules (of Software Engineering) I knew, Linux should have been a disaster, but it was'nt. Instead it was something wonderfull" -- Eric Raymond