Re: Process control from user level

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 03:03, Noah Yan wrote:
> How can I control a process from user level? I know I can kill a process by
> sending signal. What I say control means to be able to switch the process
> between states from user level, like force process to give up process and go
> to ready(or waiting) state, etc.

You cannot do it from user space.

A task can be in either of the following states: RUNNING, INTERRUPTIBLE,
UNINTERRUPTIBLE, STOPPED and ZOMBIE (iirc). So if you did tell a task to
sleep from user land, which in essence would mean that it has to get
into either the INTERRUPTIBlE state or UNINTERRUPTIBLE state, then, what
would the task be sleeping on? AFAIK it just would not make any sense.

HTH,
--
Hareesh Nagarajan
WEB: http://puggy.symonds.net/~hareesh