Re: kernel-threads

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 11:38:28 -0700, prasanna wakhare wrote:
> hi,
> I'm using two kernel thread one continuously executes
> sock_recvmsg and other sends it sontinuosly,ofcource
> if i wont put the thread to the sleep the computer
> will hang when loading the module containing kernel
> thread,i  given MSG_DONTWAIT option in sock_recvmsg,
> why i had to put the thread to sleep?

Do I understand you right, that you called the sock_recvmsg with
MSG_DONTWAIT and it did lock up? Ok, now, that's expected behaviour.
Consider what MSG_DONTWAIT means.

> i'm using 2.4.20-8 kernel is that because the kernel
> is not preemptive?
> so if i will execute those in 2.6
> will it work?

No. 2.6 is only *optionaly* preemptive.

Your design is broken anyway. You can't do IO and never wait!

> 2.while unloading the same  module the kernel gives
> oopse saying "unable to handle virtual address at
> c0xxxxx address" it will hang somewhere in
> kernel_thread_helper in process.c
> i google search above but i did not get any threads
> plz let me know the reason...

Kernel equivalent of "Segmentation fault".

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@ucw.cz>