/dev/dsp ?

hi all ,
             i was trying to record sound on my system using /dev/dsp -
i have written a small program in C and
             it works fine - For recording and play back. Later i tried
sending the recorded (voice) data (from one system)
             to another system - and tried playing it back from there.
It produces noise. To test whether something was wrong
            with my data transfer code i wrote the voice data to a file
on one system and thru FTP i send it to another
            system and tried playing it out there.Even then it produces
noise (i can't hear anything except noise ).
            1)   It would be very informative if someone could point out
why this happend ?
            2)  Does it happen because of different sound cards used ?
            3) If yes, how do using codec's, overcome this problem ?

            i'am using Redhat Linux 7.3  - kernel ver 2.4-xx .

Thank you.

regards,
Amith