Kernel high-volume trace facility kh Junior task

I'm taking a crack at implementing this task.  I'm doing it more for self
education than any rw need.  Though I know from personnel experience how
valuable tracing can be.  The requirements for this task state:

"When analysing things like VM caching performance or filesystem layout
policies, it is useful to be able to capture a trace of certain kinds of
activity for quite large workloads. Modern disks can write a fair number of
megabytes per second, which should be enough for this purpose.
The idea basically: Implement a large ring-buffer, at places where tracing
is desired data is appended to the ring-buffer. A kernel thread flushes the
buffer to a raw disk-partition as fast as possible."

I've figured out how to address most all of this job with the exception of
raw disk I/O from a kernel thread.  The kernel documentation is rich with
info on user mode to kernel mode IPC.  From what I've read, I believe I have
to use the "raw" character driver bound to a mounted block device (disk).
I'm sure I can wade through getting this set up.  However I'm lost when it
comes to accessing the raw device (/dev/raw1) from within a kernel thread.
Any help/pointers are greatly appreciated.

				- Dennis -