Re: /proc vs. /sys

On Thursday 22 January 2004 19:54, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 07:31:57PM +0100, Frank.A.Uepping@t-online.de wrote:
> > Ok, here is what I want to achieve.
> >
> > I am working on a remote-CAPI implementation for Linux.
> >         https://sourceforge.net/projects/rcapi4linux/
> > Currently I am porting/rewriting to kernel-2.6.
> >
> > The new (for kernel-2.6) remote-CAPI implementation should introduce a
> > new service allowing other code/modules to register/drive a remote-CAPI
> > controller. Basically, a remote-CAPI controller is a CAPI controller with
> > additional capabilities suited to facilitate the implementation of
> > various remote-CAPI solutions. A remote CAPI controller is a pure
> > software device, no physical hardware is involved here!
>
> So a remote CAPI controller is on the current system, right?
Yes.
A remote CAPI ctr (more precisely the code that registered/drive that
controller) is in someway interconnected (most likely TCP) with a physical
ISDN controller on the remote host.

> How does it talk to the physical hardware on a different machine?
> What does it use to do the communication?
Since I want to dissociate the way a remote CAPI controller is used (policy)
from the pure mechanism that it provides, it is not responsible for this;
actually, the code that registers a remote controller is responsible for
this.

However, this all is theory and not implemented yet! I think, it will be
better first to provide/write some code before we continue here.
Thank you Greg for your assistance so far.

> Does it bind to a specific network interface?  If so, there's your
> parent in the sysfs tree :)
>
> > In order to make various information (like the registered controllers,
> > its state, its CAPI applications, etc) available to the user I have
> > chosen to use the sysfs for this (when this is appropriate at all).
> > Here is a sample tree:
> >
> > /sys/.../rcapi/
> >
> > |-- ctr0
> > |
> > |   |-- manufacturer
> > |   |-- serial_number
> > |   |-- state
> > |   |-- debug
> > |   |-- appl0/
> > |   |
> > |   |    |--- state
> > |   |    |--- remote_id
> > |   |    |--- id
> > |   |
> > |   |-- appl1/
> > |   |
> > |   |    |--- state
> > |   |    |--- ...
> > |
> > |-- ctr1/
> > |
> > |   |-- manufacturer

> > My questions are:
> > Is the sysfs appropriate for this kind of usage?
>
> Yes.
Ok; so I am not completely wrong with my thoughts...

The problem that I see with the sysfs is that it is dedicated to hardware
related issues, apparently; and pure software abstractions (e.g. virtual
hardware) are currently not really fit here in.

> greg k-h

/FAU