Re: [ANNOUNCE] TCP Westwood+

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:46:15 -0500 (EST)
Rik van Riel <riel@surriel.com> wrote:

Hi Rik.

>Interesting, especially if Westwood really gives the performance
>advantages claimed on this page:
>
>http://www-ictserv.poliba.it/mascolo/tcp%20westwood/tcpwestwood.htm

If you are interested in this matter, I suggest you to take a look at
the paper "Linux 2.4 Implementation of Westwood+ TCP with Rate-Halving:
A Performance Evaluation Over the Internet" where we show results
collected during 3-months tests.

You can find this paper in my homepage (reported below) in the section
Papers. In this paper, we simply included results obtained in real
scenarios. In fact, we worked even on simulated ad-hoc-built scenarios
in our LAN in the first part of our testing.

These tests highlighted a great performance improvement but we decided to
focus our attention on a more realistic testbed (and just more wild as
the internet is :D) . The results are in that article.

>> Any kind of feedback is highly appreciated.

>Do you have any benchmark numbers that show the increased
>performance ?

See before please.

>If you want to propose merging TCP Westwood support, you
>should probably try the mailing list netdev@oss.sgi.com

I posted it even on kernel-net and Dave Miller told me that "Baring some
huge problem, I would be happy to put a cleaned up Westwood+ in the kernel,
available always, but disabled by default via sysctl (as I believe is
implemented in your patch) until we have more experimental results".

I modified my patch and sent it to him. I'm just waiting for an answer.

Thanks for your interesting in our work.

Regards.

- --

Angelo Dell'Aera 'buffer'
Antifork Research, Inc.	  	http://buffer.antifork.org