Re: reading files writes to the filesystem???

Liberty Young wrote:
A customer of mine for our embedded products was relating to me his
worries about using Compact Flash with Linux. He claimed that Linux (in
ext2, ext3, possibly others) filesystems, when mounted read/write, will
write to the filesystem every-time a file is read, in order to update
some time-stamp (atime?) I don't believe him, but since I wasn't sure, i
couldn't argue with this. Is this true?

I think this is true, because you can pass a non-default option to "mount" when mounting a filesystem.

From the mount man page:

noatime
      Do  not  update  inode  access  times on this file system
      (e.g, for faster access on the news  spool  to  speed  up
      news servers).

So, you can probably argue to your customer that he should be mounting with the noatime flag :)

Hope this helps

Daniel