Re: Is spin_lock() atomic in SMP systems ?

hi ,

spin_lock() is ofcourse atomic in SMP , in fact
spin_lock() is only used for multi processor system (
because of possible deadlock in uniprocessor , the
function does not so anything on uniprocessor).

spin_lock() gaurenties atomicity of it's lock
operation by using hardware support provided by the
processor for atomic operation , for example ix86 have
'lock ' prefix , to lock the bus so that no other
processor is allowed to use the bus before the
operation completes .

even if the hardware support is not available we have
very good software only techniques to gaurentee the
atomicity , search for DEKKER algo , BAKERY algo .

Rgds,
Pankaj Chauhan

 --- P Ganesh-A18494 <ganeshp@motorola.com> wrote: >
Hi ,

> Is the spin_lock() guarenteed to be atomic on SMP
> systems. i.e. if spin_lock() is called at the same
> time from both the processors will it lead to a race
> condition.
>
> Thanks,
> Ganesh
>

> --
> Kernelnewbies: Help each other learn about the Linux
> kernel.
> Archive:
> http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/

Yahoo! India Mobile: Download the latest polyphonic ringtones.
Go to http://in.mobile.yahoo.com