Re: synchronization without hardware support

Hi,

AFAIK, Dekker's algorithm provides a strict turn based solution. It assumes
that the two processes are always competing for the resource.

After one process has completed using the resource it will not be able
to make use of the resource again until the other process has used it
atleast once. This is done so as to satisfy the progress requirement.

So if there are two processes and if one process requires use of the resource
aggresively and if the other process uses the resource rarely then Dekker's
algorithm may not be the best solution to ensure performance.

I guess all processors should have some kind of 'Test and Set' instructions
which is required to implement locks in SMP.

john