kernel network programming

Hi all...

I'm working on a project that looks like it's going to
deal a lot with kernel programming. This project was
started by others, im just trying to implement it for
a school project.

http://www.ieee-infocom.org/2002/papers/776.pdf

One task im trying to acomplish is defining a new
socket type. I editied the file
/usr/include/bits/socket.h to include a new socket
type "SOCK_SMO" in the "enum __socket_type " section
that followed the same format as the other socket
types listed.

I've recompiled the kernel and wrote a simple server
program in C, but when setting the type to "SOCK_SMO"
in the socket() function call, i get a "Socket type
not supported error." I have kernel version 2.4.22 and
mandrake 9.2

I've got several tcp/ip and kernel books on order, but
any help would be greatly appreciated