Re: Help regarding compilation of driver module....PLS HELP ONLY 3 days to commence project

Hi ALL,

   thanks for the advice mike....and yea the driver is
alive and kicking but I have a problem....need some
hardware to use it.....In the erratta page of the
oreilly site...I saw a persons comment about using dd
to find the bits on the port and he said that it just
created a char file in the /dev/ directory....anyways
I tried registering a file with the return major
number and well nothing worked....Pls lemme know whats
wrong...and how to see it work...IT does load the
module in the kernel and the memory addresses are alos
registered but still wud like to see it
working.....going to do chap 9,12 tday what do u think

 I wrote a scullp program once and i compiled and ran
it...loaded it and it was under the name scullp(as
registered in the module),I created a /dev/scullp
entry with the major and called it using a test
program but it wudnt open the device...pls lemme know
how to use this device...do I have to register the
file ops in the init_module itself .I have already
added it in register_chrdev....well u tell me.....what
shud i do....thanks .....george

THE SENSITIVE ISUUES--pls read
Well copyright as u all know is intended to protect
the owner rights and positively his funding
too....well I guess GNU GPL is a difference there cos'
it gives u total control by providing the source....of
the kernel and all modules under GPL...the result...U
and I are talking about drivers openly....who is
actually talked about the kernel of the Windows
platforms or who has seen the
code..anyone....microsoft reveals code to only ppl
they feel have the need to see it...so what
happenned...windows has all the problems it had and if
soething is not possible in Windows it just is not
possible in Linux...u can go back and change it....

   I am driving at only one point....Let knowledge
abide in the hands of the Deserving and not in the
hands of those who feel its their family
property....Rubini and Jonathan did a gr8 job by
releasing code....now whats the point in have the
book...reading and compiling the existent
programs..what have we learnt.....I learnt a lot
trying to port the drivers(my own implementation)
between 2.4.4 and 2.4.23 tokk 2 days but at the end of
it U have a feel of mastery..yes i posted source which
looked like the orginal but was not ....when i am knee
deep in drivers maybe my drivers will look and feel
very different...k....thanks for all advice
...by the way successfully compiled the 2.4.23 and
2.6.0-test11 kernels all going well....compiled 2.6
with kernel preemtion...have to run and see how it
works....cheers to all..George

Dannielle if u r reading this...read on..

Hi Danielle,

    How are U????Well YES nice to know that U took the
time to read the PREAMBLE....well I have no comments
about it....but just wish to say that...That is
somewhere round the reason why I am at this job
tday......At the END OF THE DAY -everyday night ,what
do u think of before going to sleep.....IS it going to
be thoughts about what u were able to do tday or what
u werent...all the same whtever u did and whatever u
didnt ......we will all go to the grave one day....and
then after that....the preamble explains that.....my
yearning for a better life after death not that life
on earth is bad..but I believe in what I have written
after the stars-Read it at ur own will
RELIGIOUS CONTENT-read at your own will
Well I believe That I am wherever I am because It IS
GOD'S WILL...TDAY it is driver
programming....tommorrow something else....where is
all this oging to end one day....arent u ever going to
get tired of it....How many drivers will u program
before getting bored with it...WITH ALL DUE
RESPECT...programming isand art and it is challenging
but at the same time IF u ppl remember I send a driver
across which never worked never compiled and I got
replies in varied forms of suggestions....BUT tday THE
DRIVER IS ALIVE AND KICKING......what was a problem
yesterday is bygone tday.....FRIENDS KNOWLEDGE IS A
GIFT OF GOD..HIS BIGGEST GIFT IS KNOWLEDGE ABOUT
HIM......That HE SHALL SATISFY those who are thirsty
and all those who feel HIS NEED.....I end here
danielle....think about it when u have the
time..without bias..I wudnt be surprised if U saw a
new U in U...take care..GOD BLESS....
END OF RELIGIOUS CONTENT