Design Issue - Transparent interface to some encrypted files

Hello,

I am trying to write a transparent interface to some encrypted files so that the user does not notice that the files are stored encrypted. All the files are encrypted using the same key and algorithm.

As a quick hack I thought of catching the necessary system calls ( like open, read, write) do the necessary encryption, decryption and return the data to the user. This will work with write as the processing is done before calling the system call. But with read the processing has to be done after the system call completes. This can be may be done by changing the way system calls are returned in entry.S. But I am not sure how to do this.

Could some one suggest if this is a good way to proceed or if there is a better solution to this. I do not want to use an encrypted filesystem because the files are very few and part of different directories.

Thanks,
Srinivas

Shop online for kids? toys by age group, price range, and toy category at MSN Shopping. No waiting for a clerk to help you! http://shopping.msn.com