Want to write a serial driver. where do i start from & how??

Hi All,

i'm slightly new to the funda of writing device drivers. I started by writing an in-memory
buffer(character driver) like the one shown in Alessandro rubini's Device Driver book (SCULL). I implemented
the basic fxns for my device like open/close, read/write and IOCTL's. I now want to write a very basic serial
driver for the serial port on my PC. I was planning to put a LED on the port and then switching it on/off by
issuing IOCTL's to my driver. Someone suggested that i look at the serial.c code to start, but that code
has a lot of things as it is a fully functional driver. There are a lot of things that i do not understand in it.
i need to know things like what r the barebone fxns that i need to implement for my driver to work apart
from the init and exit fxns.If i make my own structure to represent the serial device what all should be
there in it. Can anyone suggest some pointers on where and how to start.

Thanks

Mandeep Singh Sandhu
Software Engineer
Infosys Technologies Ltd