Re: OK, but what about kswapd in a swapless system?

--- David Wuertele <dave-gnus@bfnet.com> wrote:
> If I don't have any swap, do I really need kswapd?
> Isn't kswapd run in order to free up memory by paging it
> to the swap
> partition?  If I don't have a swap partition, shouldn't I
> disable
> kswapd somehow?  How is that done?

Swapping pages to a swap partition isn't the only
job of kswapd. It also reaps the kernel caches
(inode cache, dentry cache, etc.), which does not
involve any swapping. So disabling kswapd isn't the
right thing to do, even on a swapless system.

-Ravi.