bzImage of the kernel-2.6 is no longer bootable?

Hi, all.

Now I'm trying to make a boot disk with kernel-2.6.0-test9.
I've made a boot disk with previous versions and I tried the same way on
2.6.0. The brief way I tried is as follows.

# su
# cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-test9
# make menuconfig(gconfig)

NOTE:
The kernel configuration is really minimum because it's just test to
make a boot disk. I've already confirmed to boot with this .config on
2.4.22. Of course, it's a little different from each .config since the
kernel version itself is different but almost the same.

# make dep (if necessary)
# make bzImage

Insert a floppy.

# fdformat /dev/fd0
# dd if=arch/i386/boot/bzImage of=/dev/fd0

Then reboot and I meet the following error message.

error message ************************************

Direct booting from floppy is no longer supported.
Please use a boot loader program instead.

Remove disk and press any key to reboot...

I expected the message like "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs
on XX:YY" though, I couldn't.
If I perform above processing on kernel-2.4.XX, I can get the result I
expect. Also if I perform "make bzdisk" instead of "make bzImage", I can
get a bootable disk.
So it means that bzImage of the kernel-2.6 is no longer bootable, isn't
it?
Please let me know any information about it.

Regards,

--
Shinpei Kato <shinny@j02.itscom.net>