Re: _PAGE_PROTNONE

sumit sahu <sahusumit2001@yahoo.co.in> writes:

> hi all,
> could someone please explain me the significance of
> _PAGE _PROTNONE flag of a page table entry.
> thanx
> sumit

Check out the definition of pte_present and the comments for the bits.
If I recall correctly, when you mprotect a page to PROT_NONE, the page
is marked as absent in the page tables and the _PAGE_PROTNONE bit is
set.

That way, if the user app tries to access the page, the hardware sees
that the page is marked as not present and invokes the kernel
exception handler.  The kernel knows, though, that if the
_PAGE_PROTNONE bit is set, then the page really is present.

--
--Ed L Cashin            |   PGP public key:
  ecashin@uga.edu        |   http://noserose.net/e/pgp/