Development in the kernel tree

Hi all,

I would like to have some practical hints and tips to work on a branch
of the Linux kernel.

Actually, I tried recently to include some stuff in the kernel tree and
I got the Makefile running properly (I guess). But maintaining the
patches, recompiling and working with other people on the same tree is
like hell (I'm used to CVS).

Does anybody have some tricks to make the development easier ?

For now, my co-developer and I have decided to take our stuff out of the
kernel and develop it out of the tree and when the release time comes
up, we'll merge it back to the kernel and make a patch out of it. But
it's a lot of manual work (even if we might do some scripts to
automatize some stuff).

Any sort of help and experience is welcome... :)

Regards
--
Emmanuel

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing
on the shoulders of giants.
  -- Sir Isaac Newton, in a letter to Robert Hooke (1676)