Re: compiling a kernel module

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 10:33:14 -0700, neo neo wrote:
> hi ,
>      I am writing some kernel modules( actually to learn kernel module programmming)
> and I don't know how to debug the kernel modules. I heard that it is possible to debug
> a kernel module using gdb but I don't know how. And I have only one linux box, so I
> need to debug it using the same linux box.Is it possible? Anybody please help me.
>
> Whenever an invalid  menory reference occures or something else goes wrong
> kernel panic occures. It seems my  linux will soon crash if I keep on doing this.
> Thank you in advance

If you are working on a hardware-independent module, you sure want to
check the user-mode-linux project (http://user-mode-linux.sf.net). It
can run linux kernel in userland, which allows full use of gdb on it.

If you are writing hardware driver, you might still be able to do some
debuging on user-mode linux. However you won't be able to access the
hardware, so you will be only able to debug whatever is possible with
emulations.

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@ucw.cz>