how can a user process interact with kernel space processes?

Hi all,

I'd like to ask you who know any mechanisms of communication between
user-space and kernel-space processes.

I think there are two possible ways to do such a job. One is to use the
proc file system, and the other is to create a system call that gets
messages from user-space processes and sends them to kernel-space
processes.

How do you think of these approaches? Do they seem to be strange or
nonstandard ways? I'd be very appreciate if anyone tell me about
alternative ways that are more standard and/or better than them.

Thanks in advance,

---
Naoya Maruyama <naoya@matsulab.is.titech.ac.jp>
Tokyo Institute of Technology