Re: Virtual Memory usage statistics

Hi ,

 When I run vmstat on my machine, I get output as

 procs    memory     swap    io     system         cpu

r b w swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs  us sy id

3 0 0  0 360408 4540 80292  0 0  26 4  161 249 5  1 9

and according to man vmstat

swpd: the amount of virtual memory used (kB).
free: the amount of idle memory (kB).
buff: the amount of memory used as buffers (kB).

  Here it shows "swpd" as zero , which is not
correct .

  Also how does the summation of all the three
account to 3GB ( 4GB - 1GB[ kernel reserved] )
of Virtual memory available ?

  By saying , how to find out which
specific Kernel areas are free , I meant
in the 1 GB Kernel reserved space of the
Virtual memory , which structures are free .

Regards !