Re: soundcore modules problem (2.6.0-test1)

* Vijay Subramanian <vijaynarananan@yahoo.com> [26-07-2003 10:57]:
> Hi folks,
>
> Thanks to ppl who helped me compile 2.6.0-test1.
>
> I managed to boot and use it but have encountered other problems. I
> tried to get 2.6 to detect my sound card (which I can detect with
> 2.4) but with 2.6.0-test1 , I am getting an error as follows.
> (paraphrasing the error) "cannot locate soundcore.o in module search
> path. Please use a kernel with soundcore.o.... "
>
> There is no file called soundcore.o in /lib/modules/2.6.0-test1 (but
> there is sounndcore.ko). The Documentation/* says that modules will
> be built woth .ko extention (for kernel object.)

Which soundcard are you using? Did it have native support in the 2.4
kernel or did you have to use ALSA? If you didn't have to use alsa,
then its likely that you will have to install the alsa utilities. For
redhat 9 you can download the RPM's at http://www.freshrpms.net/

Also, why have you compiled support for so many sound cards? Do you
actually have that many? If not then just choose the driver for the
one you have and try compiling it into the kernel image. That way
there will be no need to go looking for a module.

      - Apurva