Re: The '/usr/src/linux' link.

El Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:04:35 +0200 "Jose Luis Alarcon" <jlalarcon@zonalinux.zzn.com> escribió:

>   Hi.
>
>   A guy that is in another mailing list where i am subscribed
> tells me that Linus Torvalds was pleasing to the distro makers
> that donŽt put never more the link directory /usr/src/linux in
> their next releases.
>
>   This is for compiler compability.
>
>   Is he right or wrong?.

He's right.

In the past, /usr/include/linux was a symbolic link to /usr/src/linux/include.
(there're software which needs the kernel headers to compile things).

The linux kernel is know to be very active, and there're changes between
versions that can break the software which use the kernel headers.

So, a clever guy decided to get the headers of some know-to-work kernel version
and copy them to /usr/include/linux; this was things don't break, they are
updated periodically; and you don't need to put your kernel in /usr/src/linux.

(Please correct me if i'm wrong, i don't remember the full history; it should
be documented somewhere though ;)