Re: boot code on 386

Koala GNU (koala.gnu@tiscalinet.it) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking at the boot code in bootsect.S (2.4)and I have some doubt.
> I tried to search the answers to my questions on marc.theaimsgroup.com
> and on google bu I haven't found them.
>
> 1) In the bootsect code the first thing that is done is to copy the boot
> sector to 0x90000 and move the program count to 0x9000, go.
> Why it is necessary move the code there? is It not possible continue the
> process from 0x7C00?

As said in code : "High doesn't hurt.  Low does."
=> This is done to preserve the firmware data areas in low memory.
(I copy it from : http://www.moses.uklinux.net/patches/lki-1.html#ss1.4 )

> 2) Another step is to move the parameters table from 0x78:0 to
> 0x9000:0x4000-12. WHat are
> the info contained in this table?

The disk parameter table for the first

http://www.moses.uklinux.net/patches/lki.html

> Withouth these info I am not able to understand these three line of code
>
>       movb    $36, 0x4(%di)           # patch sector count
>       movw    %di, %fs:(%bx)
>       movw    %es, %fs:2(%bx)
>
> I know that in 2.6 the boot from floppy using native code is not
> supported anymore, but I am still interested on this stuff.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help

Other correct me, if I am make mistakes. I am a newbie, and can and make
mistakes ;-)
--
Cordialement/Regards
| Christophe Lucas -- IOMEDA SA (clucas@iomeda.fr)      |