Re: .truncate extending a file

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 11:32:12AM -0500, Eli Carter wrote:
> I'm trying to understand what the .truncate method is supposed to do
> when the file size is extended.  (Using 2.5.68-rmk1)

truncate(2) is dark magic and a source of frequent problems.

If I recall, posix doesn't say -what- is supposed to happen with
truncate making files larger. It can range from unsupported entirely, to
filling with garbage, to filling with zeros, which is what I think linux
-likes- to do. However, some filesystems (xfs) have their own methods
for acheiving similar goals, and historically haven't always given zero
filled pages back, for speed reasons.

In short: i think your filesystem can do whatever it damn well pleases.
It might even be configurable. But, relying on any specific behavior in
applications is outright wrong...

I hope this helps explain it a bit..

--
"It seems the power has been robbed from the founding fathers and is now
firmly in the hand of the funding fathers." -- Rik van Riel