Re: Boot procedure docs

DÅa Åt 3. JÃl 2003 12:08 Michael Svetlik napÃsal:
> On Thursday 03 July 2003 13:34, Juraj Wagner wrote:
> > You may try "http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lki/index.html";
> >
> > > I'm trying to understand how a kernel boots on a x86 system, not
> > > regarding any loaders that have done their job before.
> > > Till now, I've checked initrd.txt, linuxboot-current.ps, tlki, lxr
> > > sites, init/*.c and groups.google.com - there are still some questions:
>
> Thanks, Juraj,
>
> as you can see from the snippet above, I _HAVE_ checked tlki, but the
> description there ends with the call of rest_init().
>
> Seems, I chose the wrong description - with 'boot procedure' - I actually
> meant the mount operations within that procedure. Sorry, I'm a newbie ;-)

That's OK, I'm a newbie too (I subscribed yesterday ;)) and 'am not even as
far as You are!

At the moment I'm trying to run 2.5.73 on an AlphaPC164LX and I'm having some
troubles (some unitialised timers, 1 mechine check error and finaly  a
serious oops when trying to fsck my primary partition after which my machine
deadlocks).

So this is as things stand with me! I'm trying to find the right way how to
climb this biest :)

> So, what I am interested in, is the code in that do_mounts.c (in 2.4.19, in
> older kernels like 2.4.4 that file doesn't exist), especially the routine
> prepare_namespace(), which is called from the init() thread before
> exec'uting /sbin/init or similar.
Any specifics? I'm currently looking into the code.

	Juraj