first nn verbs worth learning

> > the basic Unix commands ...: bash cat cd cp
> > csh dd df echo egrep emacs export find grep
> > head id info less ls man mount pwd rm sed sort
> > strings sudo tail tar tr uname vi which
> > By now I see I need to add:
> >         file more set setenv tee what
> > What else?
>
> From:  Seth Arnold <sarnold () wirex ! com> ...
>
> echo /bin/* /sbin/* /usr/bin/* /usr/sbin/*
>
> :)

I think by your ":)" you already know the `wc` of this
is often large e.g.

$ ls `echo $PATH | sed 's/:/* /g'`
   3410    3402   31731
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$
$

I mean to ask, can we help sort this list of possible
verbs from most to least commonly interesting, for
Unix newbies, and for Linux kernel newbies.

I know people before I have done this ... seemingly
too many.  I don't know how to find who has done this
particularly well.  I imagine I have myself done this
particularly badly.

I can see that beyond the first nn verbs worth
learning we also have the first nn paths worth
learning, the first nn shell variables worth learning,
etc.

> (honestly, reading every bloody manpage on my
> systems for many years is how I learned ...

Choices.  I behaved that way before the web, because
information reached me slowly.  Still now I'd like to
read every manpage.  But I'd like to read every
webpage too.  I'm out of bandwidth: I have only
twenty-four hours each day.

Which are the first ten manpages I should read?  The
first hundred?  The first thousand?

Pat LaVarre