Symbols exported by modules

Hi everyone-

I'm certainly new to development, as I've only recently begun diving
into the kernel.  But I've had a question that I can't seem to find a
straight answer to.

If I write a loadable kernel module that has some functions I want to
export to the kernel, how do I call them from the kernel?

I need to add some hooks throughout TCP to make measurements and do some
additional processing and I'd like to avoid rebooting the kernel all the
time.

I've found the functions inter_module_get and inter_module_put, but
everything I've read suggests to use them sparingly.

While I am certainly using the calls sparingly, I am curious as to what
the correct way to call functions exported by modules?

Thanks-
Shan