Re: grub root=/dev/hd$v$n not root=LABEL=/ why

--- Pat LaVarre <p_lavarre@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > shell on the initrd image
>
> How do I discover what shell I am using to interpret
> my linuxrc?

 If you look in /sbin/mkinitrd you will find that
/sbin/nash is copied to the initrd image. And the first
line written to linuxrc is "#! /bin/nash". So, unless
you changed your mkinitrd, the shell on the initrd image
will be nash (on RedHat, of course. Don't know about other
distros).

> > From: Jan Hudec <bulb () ucw ! cz>
> > cramfs images ...
> > should be possible to mount them on loopback.
>
> Elaborate please?  I see:
>
> $ sudo mount /boot/initrd-2.4.20-pel.img /mnt/loop0 -o
> loop=/dev/loop0
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type

 The initrd image is compressed. So you first have to
uncompress this using 'gunzip'.
(Running 'file /boot/initrd-2.4.20-pel.img' would have
told you that it is gzipped data).

And now, let me try to summarize what this thread
discussed/discovered so far:
- A default RedHat installation specifies the root device
using a label (e.g. root=LABEL=/) in the boot loader
config file.
- If a new kernel is installed on such a machine, it may
panic with a message saying that root device could not
be opened.
- Specifying a device name (e.g. root=/dev/hda1) for root,
instead of a label, always works.
- There is no code in the kernel that understands the device
label. Kernel code always expects a device major/minor
to identify the root device.
- Converting the label to a device major/minor is done by
a built-in command in 'nash', the shell RedHat puts on the
initrd image to execute linuxrc.
- This explains why installing a new kernel does not always
cause a panic. If the new kernel needs initrd, and it is
built using /sbin/mkinitrd, then nash is available on the
initrd image. It does the label-to-device conversion.
- Instead, if the new kernel does not need initrd (i.e. it
has all the needed drivers built in), converting a label to
device major/minor does not happen.

Have I got it all (and got it right)?

-Ravi.