Re: kernel addresses

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, [iso-8859-1] pankaj chauhan wrote:

> hi all ,
>
> i have following doubts regarding memory mgt :
>
> 1 .what is the difference between  - Kernel logical address and kernel virtual   address .

   I dont think there is any difference between these two. Please correct
me if I am wrong.

> 2. how the boundry between low memory and high memory is set. i mean how   the ammount of high or low memory of a system is decided .

	In linux kernel's virtual address space extends form 3GB to 4GB.
So whole of the physical RAM is mapped to the kernel address space is
mapped from 3GB. So if the physical RAM is greater than 1GB then there
arises a problem as the kernel cannot address this physical space. So to
support and use the physical memory that is greater than 1GB high memory
concept is used. The memory from this part is mapped temporarily into the
low memory using kmap() and kunmap() so that the kernel can use all the
memory.

 a memory node is split into different zones. In UMA there is only one
node and the zones are DMA, NORMAL and HIGHMEM. DMA is 16MB and NORMAL
which is the low memory ranges from 16MB to 896MB and HIGHMEM starts from
1GB.

  if the physical memory is less than 1GB then there is no high memory.

 HTH,
raghu