Re: problem with __getname() and putname()

--- Mandeep Bhatti <mandeepsbhatti@yahoo.com> wrote:
> hi
>
> I am adding versioning capability to linux filesystem
> by developing a module.I have couple of problems with
> that
>
> 1. I want that module compiled for one kernel runs on
> another kernel. So I have enabled CONFIG_MODVERSIONS
> and also use gcc -I "/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/....."
> Because of this i have problems in using  __getname()
> and putname(name).Whenever i use these functions to
> allocate or free some memory, i get error message "
> names_cahcep_Rsmp_d25469b4 undeclared".If I remove
> CONFIG_MODVERSIONS everything is fine.

The way I understand it, enabling CONFIG_MODVERSIONS
doesn't guarantee that a module will run on any kernel.
Instead, the symbol versioning information will ensure
that the module loads safely if the symbols it needs
have not changed across kernel versions. In your case,
it is possible that getname() and putname() have changed
between the kernel version you built on and the version
you are loading the module.

BTW, have you built the kernel with CONFIG_MODVERSIONS
enabled? Or are you setting it only for the module?
(I guess it won't make sense to set it only for the module).

> 2. lookup_dentry is not resolved when i insert module.

Have you checked if lookup_dentry is exported?

-Ravi.