RTLinux installation

Dear everybody,

as you requested, I send you the instructions to install RTLinux.

Please do follow the all the steps correctly. Especially note that you need a
*clean* linux kernel, and compile it for your CPU type *exactly* - so that if
you have a P4 compile it for P4 not for PIII or i586 etc.

In plain words, you construct your realtime linux system by your own. First
you patch and compile a linux kernel, reboot with it, then compile and run
rtlinux kernel.

There is an RTLinux howto that you can get here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/RTLinux-HOWTO.html

This howto is rather old - I suggest you to follow the instructions in the
attached file. However, it includes example programs using RTL API as well as
instructions for compiling them.

RTLinux can be found here:
ftp://ftp.fsmlabs.at/pub/rtlinux/
or ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/pub/linux/rtlinux

The latest version is 3.2-pre2. But you can get 3.2-pre3 via CVS:

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@canals.disca.upv.es:/var/cvs login
password: anoncvs
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@canals.disca.upv.es:/var/cvs co rtlinux-3.2-pre3

Also, there is a mailing list for RTL:

I am subscribed to it, as well as many other good people are - you can always
get some help from there. At least I did ;-)

About me - I have installed RTLinux 3.2-pre1/2/3 with 2.4.18 and 2.4.20
kernels on PIII and P4 machines basing on redhat 7.3.

Good luck!

Artemio.

RTLinux quick instalation instructions
version: 0.0.2 as of June 04, 2003
(c)2003 Artemiy I. Pavlov <artemio at artemio.net>

DESCRIPTION

This document describes how to compile and install RTLinux/Free, a hard-realtime
extension to Linux kernel.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

This section describes compiling, installing and running RTLinux

1.	Get a clean Linux kernel from kernel.org. Please make sure that there is a
	proper rtlinux patch for the kernel you plan to use.

2.	Get an RTLinux package. We will suppose further that you have rtlinux-3.2-pre3.

3.	Unpack the Linux sources in /usr/src/linux.

4.	Unpack RTLinux in /usr/src/rtlinux-3.2-pre3. In the directory /usr/src/rtlinux-3.2-pre3/patches
	you will see patches for different kernel versions.

5.	Put the RTLinux patch in /usr/src directory (rename the file "rtlinux-patch"
	for convenience).

6.	Change to Linux kernel sources directory:

	# cd /usr/src/linux

7.	Patch the Linux kernel with rtlinux patch:

	# patch -p1 < ../rtlinux-patch

8.	Configure your kernel:

	# make menuconfig

	(or config/xconfig to your taste)

	Configure your kernel to support your CPU type exactly. Add your hardware drivers
	and other options as needed.

9.	Check dependencies:

	# make dep

10.	Make a compressed kernel image:

	# make bzImage

11.	Compile and install modules:

	# make modules
	# make modules_install

12.	Install the new kernel:

	# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/rtlinuz

13.	Edit /etc/lilo.conf to have a new entry:

	image=/boot/rtlinuz
		label=rtlinux
		root=/dev/*** (look at your original kernel settings)
		read-only
		append="apm=off acpi=off"
		vga=791 (or specify your own vga mode)

	Be sure to leave your old kernel here as well in case this new kernel doesn't boot.

14.	Update the bootloader:

	# lilo

15.	Reboot the system.

	# reboot
	or
	# shutdown -r now
 will say [OK] and some [FAILED], but that seems
	to be okay since rtlinux runs anywa

16.	At boot prompt, choose "rtlinux". If it doesn't boot with the new kernel,
	start from step 8 again, superceeding configuration with "make clean" command.

17.	Change to RTLinux sources directory:

	# cd /usr/src/rtlinux-3.2-pre3

18.	Configure RTLinux:

	# make menuconfig

	(or config/xconfig to your taste)

	You can leave the defaults here.

19.	Make RTLinux kernel and modules (this automaticay launches make dep as well):

	# make

20.	Make devices and install RTLinux:

	# make install

21.	Test RTLinux and it's modules:

	# make regression

	This will hang your machine if your Linux kernel or RTLinux was misconfigured and/or
	miscompiled. Normally, all the tests will output [OK]. Generally, all tests should not
	output [FAILED]. Usually, some tests will say [OK] and some [FAILED], but that seems
	to be okay since RTLinux will run anyway, as my experience shows.

22.	Start RTLinux:

	# rtlinux start

	This should output something like this:

	(+)rtl.o
	(+)rtl_fifo.o
	(+)mbuff.o

	etc. with (+) meaning a successfully loaded module and (-) stating the reverse.

RUNNING RTLINUX

This section is dedicated to starting, stopping RTLinux and viewing other info
about loaded RTLinux modules

1. To view the list of possible commandline options for rtlinux, just say:

	# rtlinux

2.	To start RTLinux:

	# rtlinux start

	Start RTLinux and load modules module1.o and module2.o:

	# rtlinux start module1.o module2.o

3. View status of modules:

	# rtlinux status

4. To stop RTLinux: