2 GiB - 1 per file vfat max

> > beyond 4 GiB works ... for mount type ext2 ...
> > vfat ... chokes down at 2 GiB - 1 ...
> > "File size limit exceeded" or ...
>
> From: OGAWA Hirofumi <hirofumi()mail!parknet!co!jp>
> Date: 2003-05-28 12:48:00 ...
> support was added at 2.5.27.

Thanks for that specific hint.

Can anyone say which of the 2.5.27 changes allowed
vfat to access more than 2 GiB per file?

Maybe one of us can quickly name a few of the more
significant source files involved?  Seemingly they are
not the files of:
http://lxr.linux.no/source/fs/vfat/

(In my ignorance, I tried diff'ing the (Makefile
namei.c vfatfs_syms.c), to 2.5.28 from 2.4.20, but in
the changes I see nothing clearly relevant, except
that we thank OGAWA Hirofumi for "Multibyte character
and cleanup".)

> Subject: Re: 2 GiB - 1 per file vfat max
> From: Seth Arnold <sarnold () wirex ! com>
> Date:  2003-05-28 0:33:43
> ... a fundamental limitation of the filesystem,
> as designed and implemented by Microsoft ...

FAT 16 LFN by design blows out at 2 GiB per disk, yes.

I mean to be talking about GiB per file.  I hear FAT
32 blows out at 4 GiB per file, presumably because of
a 32 bit count of bytes per file somewhere on disk.

Rumour tells me that various FAT implementations from
Microsoft have misbehaved short of the limitations
built into the struct of the metadata, but I see files
of (4 GiB - 1) bytes created by Win XP SP1.

The `ls` running on my 2.4.20-xfs accurately reports
such file sizes: I just can't get at the data with
code I write myself to speak thru vfat.

> Microsoft ... trying to migrate users to ntfs

Aye, read only in Linux, ouch.

I see Microsoft flatly refuses to mkfs FAT 32 of more
than about 32 GiB.  Rumour tells me Microsoft has
shipped bugs that trip above this barrier.

Pat LaVarre p.lavarre@ieee.org

--- end of message ---