2 GiB - 1 per file vfat max

Anyone already working to raise the max bytes per file
of vfat to 4 GiB?

I see up to and beyond 4 GiB works great in 2.4.20-xfs
for mount type ext2 ... no matter whether via dd,
java.io.RandomAccessFile, or gcc of
_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE.

But I see the vfat I have in Linux chokes down at 2
GiB - 1, complaining of "File size limit exceeded" or
"Invalid argument", which makes that Linux vfat
inconveniently incompatible with the $$ vfat I bought
to run elsewhere.

http://www.google.com/
http://lxr.linux.no/source/Documentation/filesystems/vfat.txt
http://lxr.linux.no/source/Documentation/filesystems/vfs.txt
seemingly do not comment, except to say back before
2.4 many kernels lacked the LFS = large file system
that let ext2 & friends go past 2 GiB, and that even
in 2.4 the limits of 4 Gi blocks = 2 TiB / 0.5 KiB
annoy some people.

The kernel source includes such strings as "2 GB" and
"4 GB" and "2GB" and "4GB", but seemingly only in
unrelated contexts.  So I ask:

Anyone already working to raise the max bytes per file
of vfat to 4 GiB?

Pat LaVarre p.lavarre@ieee.org

--- end of message ---