processor utilization

Hi,

I would like to measure the processor utilization of my linux system.
It is an embedded system with linux (2.4.18, non-preemptible) running
on a MIPS processor. Basically it runs VoIP related stack (signaling +
data).

I would like to measure how much is the processor utilization when a
series of events occur. I know that we have a "top" command to see the
load on a per second basis.I don't want a per second utilization but
utilization under a given test scenario.

For an RTOS like system, we have techniques like running a
low-priority task and a very high priority task and then estimating on
the basis of how much time the low-priority task gets scheduled. This
may not be of use because we are on a non-preemptible linux running
processes without priorities.

Any techniques or ways of measuring in this scenario would be of help.

Thank you in advance.

~Learner

Himalayan holiday! Waiting to be won. http://server1.msn.co.in/sp03/summerfun/index.asp Find out more.