Re: Compiling and installing a 2nd Kernel

> My question is: How can I compile and install the 2.5 kernel without
> overwriting the modules and bzimage of the current 2.4 one, so that I can
> switch back if something goes wrong with the 2.5?
> I guess the bzimage only needs to be copied to save it, but what about the
> modules? Just rename the directory recursively?

Read the README file in the top directory of your kernel source. It has
all the help you need. To make sure that you don't over write the existing
kernel, choose some name, other than the name of your existing kernel,
when you copy bzImage to /boot. Making modules and modules_install will
keep them in /lib/modules/version_number. So there won't be any over
writing. Finally make a new entry for your new kernel in lilo.conf (Cut
and paste the existing one and change the label and kernel name and make a
initrd if needed ) and run lilo. The default can still be your old kernel
and on lilo prompt you can choose to boot to your new kernel during next
reboot.

Regards,
--Sarin(ee98291).