RE: Increasing performance of syslog ?

Thanks Seth.

I didn't fancy recompiling the kernel....BUT....

What I did in the end was to create a Ramdisk.
This seemed to speed writes up enough that I never got missing blocks of
debug spew.

For anyone who interested, it was pretty simple:

# mkdir /mnt/ramdisk
# mke2fs /dev/ram2
# mount /dev/ram2 /mnt/ramdisk

Then add a line to /etc/syslog.conf that reads:

kern.*                               /mnt/ramdisk/kernspew.log

Then restart your syslogd:
# service syslog restart

Now your kernel debug spew should be written to /mnt/ramdisk/kernspew.log
Remember its only a ram disk so it won't live between reboots.

NOTE: The ram disk created above defaults to 4 meg.  If you need more you
will have to format the ramdisk to a larger size.

Hope this helps someone.
Thanks
Dom