Help needed regarding Network Device Drivers

Hi,

  This is the first time I am writing a mail to this group. Please excuse me
if I violate any of the protocols of this group.

I am interested in writing Network Device Driver. To begin with I have
bought and studied the "Linux Device Drivers" book. For better understanding
of the driver, I have gone through the code in 3c509.c (Driver code for
3c509 device) but couldn't understand the probing function. It (probing
function) contains calls to pnp_find_dev, pnp_device_attach etc. The code
says that these functions were called for ISA PNP devices. Can anybody tell
where I can find the full set of these functions with detailed explanation?

I found some ISAPNP functions like isapnp_find_dev etc. for ISA PNP devices.
I don't know why pnp_find_dev function is used for ISA PNP devices in
3c509.c file. Can anybody tell me where to use which?

Also please tell me which is the best driver code file to look at as a
beginner?
To write the device drivers, do we need to know about the PCI, ISA PNP etc.
architectures?

Thanks in Advance.

-Anil

This message is confidential and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify postmaster@adpwilco.com immediately. You should not copy it or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person. The views and opinions expressed in this e-mail message are the author's own and may not reflect the views and opinions of ADP Wilco.