Need help configuring dedicated buffer in ram

I'm new to kernel development, and am currently tasked with writing a
driver for a pci<>pci bridge controller that allows a computer on a
pci card (COAC) communicate with a host computer through the pci bus.
The setup uses an 8k chunk of memory to store configuration data for
the host system, which the host bios reads and writes to during host
reset (the coac doesn't get reset).

The problem is, this memory region is located at 63M due to other
host constraints. Since this memory is part of the coac's system
memory (256M), the kernel assumes control at bootup. Currently, it
works by limiting the kernel memory to 60M (mem=60M on the lilo
cmdline). This seriously hampers performance, as the system is
forced to swap fairly heavily.

Is there a way to allocate this memory from within the driver,
without having to build the driver into the kernel? I'm currently
using 2.4.9-40 (redhat 7.2), but will possibly be upgrading the
system image to RH9.0 soon (if needed).

Tobin Davis