Re: linux kernel module programming guide

hi john,

ok.  i've implemented the following changes so far, since they were mega
quick.  i'll keep working on your other suggestions.

updated copy can be found at:

   http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=45037

if you want to follow the progress.  i'm going to hold of sending it to
tldp for a few days.

begin John Levon <levon@movementarian.org>
> On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 11:48:03AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > enable CONFIG_MODVERSION in
> it's CONFIG_MODVERSIONS

check.

> > One exception is chapter (fixme),

check.

> > [2] This file used to be called conf.modules before linux 2.0, but this name
> > is now deprecated.
>
> remove this note ?

hmmm... ok.  i kind of wanted to document some of the old stuff (someone
should document it for historical purposes), but i guess you're right.
that's beyond the scope of the lkmpg.

check.

> > int init_module(void)
> > void cleanup_module(void)
>
> I think you should use module_init() etc. right up front. If you insist,
> you could add a chapter on 2.2, but I do not see *any* point in
> supporting 2.2 in this document.

the reason was the same as the conf.modules reason.  people might see
it, and be confused because it might still be found in places.

where would they go if nobody knew about how things used to be done?

> > You can even write modules to replace the kernel's system calls, which
> > we'll do shortly.
>
> This is not a sensible thing to cover in this document IMO.

jooc, how come?

> > to be experts in memory managements
>
> typo

check

> > However, there's also a C99 way of assigning to elements of a
> > structure.
>
> You should clarify that this is preferred

check

thanks for the comments!  they were what i was hoping for!   and feel
free to send more.   :)

pete