Re: What does kernel option `root=LABEL=/' do?

----- Original Message -----
From: John Levon
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 6:45 PM
Subject: Re: What does kernel option `root=LABEL=/' do?

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 05:58:07PM -0600, Paul Claessen wrote:

> found the same LABEL=/ 'thingees' back in /ect/fstab :
> My first question is a general one: What is this LABEL=/ all about, what does it do?
> I did quite some research, but it appears to be a secret.

It's so secret, it's documented right there in "man fstab"...

==== Actually reading a manual??? What a novel idea!  ;-)
(okay, so I got caught.. feeling real small now...)

The mainline kernels don't have the patch to handle mount-by-label, but
the Red Hat kernels do.

==== Sucks, but okay, at least it explains it. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

> I tried editing (during boot) the grub entry and replace the LABEL=/ with /dev/hda4

This is the right thing to do.

==== Well... goodie. (and I meant -typo- hda5, 4 I think is the raw extended partition)

> when I do that the system gets a whole lot further, UNTIL it needs to
> write to various files in /var: it will then complain 'no such file or
> directory' for the various files.

Sure you didn't fiddle too much with your /etc/fstab ?

=== Yep, fairly sure: in fact I didn't touch it at all. And maybe that's my problem,
maybe I should remove all the LABEL= strings there too then? Will test this.
Although, IF that's the problem, then that will make booting different kernels (with
and without that patch) a real pain, if not impossible.
Again, thanks for replying! Really appreciate it!
- Paul

john