BSD Makefile ---> GNU Makefile

Hi,

I am trying to compile a BSD package in Linux.
In one of the directories the makefile is not created using configure
and it therefore written in BSD make rules. It also includes standard
BSD makefiles (for creating a Library - bsd.lib.mk).

Any idea about converting BSD makefile to Gnu Makefiles. Default method
is always there to try and write all the rules etc into a new gnu
makefile. But is there any simpler way to do that? Because the original
makefile is quite big and uses BSD's global include makefile. Do we have
any corresponding standard makefiles for creating libraries in
gnu/linux.

Any help regarding this would be appreciated.

thanks,
Deepankar.